Please click here to Download our Newsletter for 04/10/13
What is Bikeability?
Bikeability is ‘cycling proficiency’ for the 21st century, designed to give the next generation the skills and confidence to ride their bikes on today’s roads.
There are three Bikeability levels. Each level is designed to help cyclists improve their cycling skills, no matter what they know already. Levels 1, 2 and 3 take the trainee cyclists on a journey from the basics of balance and control, all the way through to planning and making a journey by themselves on busier roads.
Year 5 and 6 have recently been doing their Level 2 Bikeability course and we hope in the Summer term to be able to offer the Level 3 course to Year 6; before leaving us to go onto secondary school.
Why Cycle to school?
- Cycling is a cheap, effective and environmentally friendly way to staying fit.
- Cycling is an efficient form of transport, so you spend less time sitting in traffic jams and arrive on time!
- Milton Keynes supports cycling via its Red Route network, so getting around the city independently is easier and safer by cycle.
- A cycle rack is provided at New Chapter, which is covered and your bicycle is safe if it is locked up securely.
- Apart from when it snows, or there is ice and fog, which in fact doesn’t happen often, which enables children to cycle comfortably to school on most days of the year.
But remember always wear a cycling helmet.
On our first day back in September, we were very fortunate to have a visit from a company called Animal Experience. They brought into school an array of exotic animals, which the children were able to touch and hold. These included Brazilian tree frogs, chameleons, pythons, snakes, giant cockroaches and tarantulas. The children we very excited to be able to get so close to the creatures, although the staff were less enthusiastic.